Pollinator Conservation Short Course – Hilo, HI
- Thursday February 6, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Imiloa Astronomy Center, Moana Hoku Room, 600 Imiloa Place, Hilo HI 96720
- Registration is $45. Discounted registration of $35 is available for HOFA members. A late registration fee of $5 will be added to registrations after January 28th. Course registration includes a copy of Attracting Native Pollinators. Lunch not included.
- Western SARE scholarships are available to the first 30 participants on a first come, first served basis.
Establishing a Breadfruit (`Ulu) Incubator--SCBG Program FY 2012
FIELD DAY-- `Ulu Production & Agronomy
- February 7th, 2014 1pm-4:30pm
- Mililani Ag Park: 94-840 Lanikuhana Ave. 96789
What do you need to know to successfully grow Breadfruit (`Ulu) in Hawaii? To find out, please attend a FREE Field Day at Mililani Ag Park. You will learn about propagation techniques, nutrient needs, irrigation requirements, field prep & spacing, sources for nursery stock, and pruning. Link to flier here.
A take home planting guide will be provided. Please RSVP to Lisa Zeman, 343-8196 by Thursday February 6th. Refreshments will be provided by Mililani Ag Park.
Topics We Will Cover:
- Propagation Methods
- Nursery Care
- Field Prep
- Soil Testing, Nutrients, Amendments
- Planting, Spacing, Fertilization
- Irrigation, Mulching
- Maintenance, Pruning
- In Field Walk Through of Established Plantings
- Equipment Demo
- Wayne Ogasawara, Mililani Ag Park
- Mark Nickum, Ph.D. UH CTAHR
- Pete Bunn, Crop Nutrient Solutions
HOFA Grow Organic
- February 8, 2014 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Kualoa Ranch, Oahu
- $20 for non-members, $10 for HOFA members, lunch included (from Down to Earth)
- Become a HOFA member or renew by Jan 31st and attend for free!
- FMI and to register, visit http://www.hawaiiorganic.org/news-events?newsid=432, or call (808) 322-6633.
Second Saturday at the Garden!
Join the O’ahu Master Gardeners and UGC ‘Ohana Volunteers at the Pearl City Urban Garden Center for Second Saturday at the Garden! For more information call 453-6050 or visit the UGC website http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ougc/
Annual Plant Sale & Valentines Celebration with the Honolulu Rose Society
- February 8, 2014, 9am -12pm
- Workshop, 9:30am-10:30am: Growing Roses in Hawaii hosted by the Honolulu Rose Society. Pre-registration is required, $5 donation at door for adults. Please call 453-6050 to secure your space.
Green and Red Leaf Lettuce FIELD DAY
- Thursday, February 13, 2014, 9:00 am ‐10:30 pm
- Poamoho Research Station, 65‐602 Kaukonahua Road, Waialua, Hawaii
- See and evaluate the horticultural characteristics of 40+ green and red lettuce cultivars.
- Link to flier here.
Hawaiian ‘Uala (sweet potato) Variety Field Day
- Saturday, February 15th, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- UH Waimanalo Experiment Station, Organic Plots, 41-698 Ahiki St, Phone: (808) 259-7201 (UH Field Station)
- FMI: Contact email@example.com
- View announcement here.
Forum on Cover Crops and Soil Health
- February 18th, 2014
- Live-streamed video broadcast of the opening sessions of the National Conference on Cover Crops and Soil Health in Omaha, Neb. Following the broadcast, discuss with fellow forum participants how cover cropping can build soil health, improve yields, curb erosion, manage pests and build resilience into your farming system.
- For more information: http://www.sare.org/Events/Forum-on-Cover-Crops-and-Soil-Health
- For a list of Hawaii Forum Locations: http://www.sare.org/Events/Forum-on-Cover-Crops-and-Soil-Health/Forum-Locations
AgCurious by GoFarm Hawaii
- Monday, March 3, 2014
- 5:00 - 8:00 pm
- Windward Community College, Hale ‘Akoakoa Building
What is the outlook for the Agricultural Industry in Hawaii?
Hear from farmers about farming in Hawaii
Assess your own readiness to farm
Learn more about the University of Hawai’i’s GoFarm Hawa’i
Hear from GoFarm Hawaii students about their experience
You must attend this event to apply for GoFarm Hawaii @ Windward CC's AgXposure and AgSchool programs (see www.gofarmhawaii.org for more information).
To register: Email your name to: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 236-9265. The last day to register is Friday, February 28.
Water Management Strategies - An Irrigation Management and Vetiver Workshop
- Friday, March 7th from 9am to 12pm, Mulkern Nursery,Waimanalo
- Registration is $6 per person, and is required for attendance. Registration deadline: March 3rd.
- Only 25 seats are available for the event. No walk-in registrations at the workshop.
ORCD is hosting a workshop aimed at educating Oahu farmers, nursery owners and operators about best management practices. Join us to learn about the following topics:
- Installation of micro-irrigation systems.
- Irrigation management techniques to increase water efficiency.
- The conservation benefits of vetiver, and how to successfully establish it.
- Financial assistance options for the installation of best management practices on your farm/nursery.
- Tour around Mulkern Nursery to see installed conservation practices will be given.