Creative agroforestry workshops for food production in home, farm, and community landscapes
- June 27–28, O’ahu
Topics include (agendas are set for each workshop based on speaker availability): Important traditional Pacific island crops and agroforestry systems, Soil fertility maintenance using locally available resources, Pest and disease prevention strategies, Food forestry for home and commercial use, Small-scale enterprise development and value-added processing based on perennial food plants, Hawaiian cultural perspective on Pacific Island agroforestry systems, Strategies for converting to agroforestry systems, Fruit and nut trees for environmental services such as shade, windbreak, erosion control, and noise barriers, their use and maintenance; NRCS practice standards that support their use, Integrating livestock and poultr, Perennial alternatives to annual crops, Advice and techniques for landscapers, Local experiences in agroforestry system implementation.
- For More information: For more information about the workshops and companion book, visit www.agroforest.info.
Second Saturday at the Garden!
Join the O’ahu Master Gardeners and UGC ‘Ohana Volunteers at the Pearl City Urban Garden Center for garden demonstrations, UH Master Gardener “Got a Plant Question” booth, tours, UH Seed sales, plant sales and self-guided garden tours at every event. Visit the Oahu Urban Garden Center website to learn more about our upcoming events!
July 11, 2015, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Workshop: . Call to register 453-6050, $10 at the door.
Plant a Tree of Life – Grow ‘Ulu: Breadfruit Tree Distribution
- Sunday, July 12, 2015
- UH Waimanalo Research Center, 41-698 Ahiki Street, Waimanalo, HI
- RSVP to Quentin Kelaloha at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tree in advance!
- Event flier
The Dirt on Soilless Agriculture
- Saturday, August 15, 2015
- 8 am – 3 pm, @Kroc Center, 91-3257 Kualaka‘i Parkway, Conference (including lunch)
4 pm – 8 pm, @Mari’s Gardens, 94-415 Makapipipi St.- Farm tour and gourmet wine dinner by Miso & Ale
- Registration Information: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-dirt-on-soilless-agriculture-tickets-16440237192
- Early Bird Special: $180 until July 15. Regular Rate ($195) after July 15. Fee includes conference participation, coffee and light breakfast, bento-style lunch, guided farm tour, and gourmet wine dinner featuring Mari’s Gardens fish and produce.
- Conference flier
Learn about the advancements and opportunities in soilless agriculture in Hawai‘i from leading industry experts. Some topics include controlled environment vegetable production, commercial aquaponics and hydroponics, latest university research, aquaponics in school curriculum, intensive strawberry production, renewable energy solutions, Hawai‘i’s aquaculture industry and collaborative community projects. A panel of experts will discuss the current challenges and possible solutions in Hawai‘i’s agriculture.
Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers: Back to our Roots
- September 24 to September 29, 2015
- Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel, 75-5660 Palani Road, Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740, Tel: (808) 331-6389
- For more information contact Ken Love (808) 323-2417, email: email@example.com
- Conference flier