AgCurious @ Leeward CC
- October 7, 2014, 5:30-8:00 pm
- Leeward Community College (96-045 Ala Ike St. Aiea, HI), GT bldg (lower level), Room 105
- Campus map at: http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/campus-map
- RSVP by emailing your name to email@example.com or calling 455-0401
If you are interested in becoming a production farmer in Hawaii, you should attend this seminar. Hear about ag in Hawaii, hear about the experience of farming in Hawaii and going through the GoFarm Hawaii program from farmers and students. Applications for the next cohort of students for the GoFarm Hawaii beginning farmer training program will be handed out at this seminar.
Second Saturday at the Garden!
Join the O’ahu Master Gardeners and UGC ‘Ohana Volunteers at the Pearl City Urban Garden Center for Second Saturday at the Garden! For more information call 453-6050 or visit the UGC website http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ougc/
- October 11, 2014, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm: Pollinators!
- November 8, 2014, Celebrate Arbor Day in Hawaii! 7AM until the trees are gone
Celebrating 100 Years ~ Extending Knowledge and Changing Lives
UH Master Gardener Statewide Conference
- October 24, 25, and 26, 2014, Island of Maui
- Select from three behind the scenes tours of Maui (lunch included).
- Gala awards banquet evening of Saturday October 25th.
- Advanced training opportunities on Sunday, October 26th.
- Additional program details at conference webpage.
- Conference Brochure
- Register here.
CRATE Field Day
- October 25, 2014, 9:00 am‐ 12:00 pm
- Poamoho Expt Station, 65‐620 Kaukonahua Road, Waialua, Hawaii
- View flier here.
UH CTAHR’s project entitled Center of Rural Agriculture Training for Entrepreneurship (CRATE) aims to develop sustainable agricultural practices that rely on efficient use of on farm resources and integration of natural biological cycles and controls to promote rural community entrepreneurship in the tropical Pacific region. A field day will be held at the Poamoho Experiment Station to show case the following techniques:
- Cover crop mixture for soil health improvement in a tropical climate (Field demo)
- Soil slaking test to compare tilled and conservative tillage systems (NRCS)
- Inoculation of beneficial soil microorganisms to reduce fertilizer inputs (poster)
Pest Management (field demo)
- Insectary crop planting for pest management in diverse agroecosystems
- Vermicompost and compost tea drenching for pest management
- Construction of a variety of DIY screen house for pest management
Hawaii Sheep and Goat Association Annual Workshop
- October 31 and November 1, 9 am - 5 pm, Waimea Civic Center in Kamuela
- Featuring Dr. Woody Lane, a nationally renowned livestock nutritionist and forage specialist speaking on: Nutrient Deficiencies in Forage-based Diets, Intensive Management Grazing, and Technology Tools for Small Farmers
- Saturday will include field visits to two farms (one sheep, one goat) to discuss forage quality and nutrient profiles.
- Pre-registration is only $50 IF you register by October 15. Late registrations are $75.
- More info and registration are available on our NEW WEBSITE www.hsga.net