4-H is one of the oldest and most effective programs of non-formal education in Hawaii. The 4-H classroom is a world of real hands-on projects and demonstrations, leadership development, and personal economics. 4-H teaches pride in workmanship and accomplishments, personal interaction with peers, and respect for the environment.
4-H assists young people in developing life skills and in forming attitudes that will enable them to become self-directing, productive, and contributing members of society. 4-H strives to help young people "make the best better" through programs that emphasize learning by doing. 4-H touches approximately 35,000 young people annually throughout the State of Hawaii.
4-H helps young people develop quality friendships with adults and peers.
4-H teaches youth important life skills such as leadership, decision-making, and personal-coping skills and helps them acquire and use knowledge.
4-H is a program about our future, our youth-an organization that is constantly changing to meet the needs of young people in today's world.
4-H is for youths age 5-19 from all racial, cultural, economic, and social backgrounds.
Popular projects today are food & nutrition, clothing, health, safety, environment, and leadership. New projects range from aerospace to theatrics to food safety.
4-H members may also learn about livestock, crops, forestry, marketing, and machinery. Other projects are electricity, environmental protection and conservation, photography, public speaking, woodworking, entomology, small engines, and personal development.
4-H involves young people everywhere. They meet in homes of members or their leaders, in schools, or in other community buildings. 4-H is found wherever professional Cooperative Extension Service personnel and CES volunteer leaders are available to conduct the program.
Flexibility is the key to today's 4-H projects-flexibility is the kinds of learning offered and in the variety and scope of projects.
"Learn by Doing"
"To make the best better."
"4-H is a community of young people across America who are learning leadership, citizenship, and life skills."
To meet the needs of a constantly changing society, 4-H has developed a number of ways to participate.
Youth participate in organized 4-H clubs, with officers and a planned program that is carried on through all or several months of the year. The 4-H club offers multiple projects and club activity programs. Completing an individual enrollment form accomplishes enrollment. A club consists of five or more members.
4-H Individual Membership:
Participating in a planned youth 4-H program for individual members or youth who cannot meet with 4-H club units due to distance or undue conflict, such as some seniors in high school or freshmen in college have, may become individual members.
To enroll as an individual member, youth must:
Individual 4-H members are bound to rules set up by local 4-H Councils concerning deadlines for enrollment, appropriate conduct and other policy requirements.
4-H School Enrichment Programs
4-H School Enrichment programs are based on 4-H curricula. Completing a group enrollment form accomplishes enrollment.
The following criteria govern the use of 4-H curricula in school settings:
Forms & References
To view PDF files you will need the free Acrobat Reader.
In the Territory of Hawaii, 4-H began under the auspices of the Federal Agricultural Experiment Station and leadership of Frederick G. Krauss, Harvey F. Wiley and Mabel Greene. It was launched in 1918 with a 31-member pig club on Maui. In 1923, Miss Greene integrated the 4-H club work with the public schools with teachers who were trained in agriculture and home economics.
By 1926, there were 4-H clubs on Oahu, Hawaii, and Kauai. That year, the Pollyanna 4-H club of Honolulu exhibited in Chicago and won a national prize. It was the first time a club had participated from such a "distant place" as Hawaii
In the decades which followed, 4-H clubs in Hawaii played important roles in major events of their times. During the 1930's Depression, groups of older boys and girls organized into junior farm and home demonstration clubs. During World War II, 4-H clubs developed horticultural practices such as grafting macadamia nut trees and coffee plants.
After the war, the beef calf program made its debut, financed by Bank of Hawaii. Under this arrangement, loans of up to $125 for the purchase of beef calf were offered by the bank to qualified 4-H club members. Another major activity was collection and sale of pasture grass and legume seeds.
As the decades passed, the 4-H broadened its scope, thanks to increased public funding through the Extension Service, assured by acts of Congress. In 1927, both the 4-H motto, "To make the best better", and the four-leaf clover emblem were approved. By 1977, the 4-H council had been created by a merger of the 4-H Club Foundation and National 4-H Service Committee.
Meanwhile, programs were evolving in line with the needs of youth in a changing society. During the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, increased emphasis was given science, work with low-income people, minorities, and urban youth.
Boys and girls 4-H club work was started in Hawaii in 1918, during the first world war. The slogan "Food Will Win the War" was used, and Hawaii's boys and girls joined in with adults to grow food
Club work became a part of the Agricultural Experiment Station of the Departmment of Agriculture in 1923. Miss Mabel Greene was appointed Territorial 4-H Club Leader to do the work in Hawaii
In 1926, when the Smith-Lever Law was amended to provide funds for the Territory of Hawaii, the Copperative Extension Service at the University of Hawaii was established. Miss Mabel Greene then became Hawaii's first home demonstration agent. She was assigned to do Extension work on the island of Oahu. During 1928 and 1929, 4-H Clubs were organized on the four major islands.
The first conference was called the Territorial 4-H Club Week. It was held on the Manoa campus of the University of Hawaii, June 16-20, 1930. At this gathering, there were in attendance eight boys and eight girls from the island of Hawaii, four boys and four girls
each from the Islands of Kauai, Maui, and Oahu. Eleven adult leaders chaperoned the group.
Yearly conferences continued for two years. The next conference was held June 10-14, 1939 with a total of 120 4-H club members and 17 leaders in attendance. The boys were housed in the Mills Building and the girls in the Kawaiahao Building at the Mills School, presently known as Mid Pacific Institute.
No additional conferences were held until 1947, when the name "Ahaolelo,"--a Hawaiian word meaning "to come together for a meeting,"--was adopted as the offical name of the territorial 4-H gathering. Ninety-nine 4-H member delegates and local club members attended. The 4-H delgates were selected on the following basis of two boys and two girls from each county plus one delegate per 100 members enrolled and/or major fraction thereof. Separate enrollment for boys and girls was considered the basis for determining the number of delegates. In addition, two club leaders, one for the boys' and one for the girls' clubs, came from each county as delegates.
The 1949 Ahaolelo theme was "Better Living For A Better World". Ninety-six members and eighteen local leaders were officially registered. The judging contest was one of the main events, and the combined boys' and girls' score won Maui judging championship that year.
One of the distinctly Hawaiian features of the 4-H Ahaolelo is the annual presentation of representative products of the land to persons who symbolize the highest type of leadership in Hawaii. This is called the "Gifts To The Alii" presentation. This tradition was started in 1953 when Governor and Mrs. Samuel Wilder King were recognized. Other recipients are as follows:
The tradition of recognizing people who have made significant contributions to 4-H Club work throughout Hawaii was begun in 1955. Dr. Frederick G. Krauss, former director of the Hawaii Extension Service; U.H. President Gregg M. Sinclair; and Mr. Morley Theaker, Manager, Hawaii Sears Roebuck and Company were honored. Subsequent recipients are as follows:
During the 1930 4-H Club Week, a daily newspaper called the HOIKI PU KA LA meaning daily report was published. It continued to be published in 1931 and 1932. No conference paper was issued until 1955 when the publication was called NUUAHOU AHAOLELO. It meant 'news of the Ahaolelo.' It was discovered that the first word was misspelled, so before the conference ended the name was changed to HUHOU AHAOLELO. Molokai submitted the name. The newspaper was not resumed in 1956 but in 1957 it was published issuing only a single edition. In 1958 three issues were printed.
In 1959 it was a daily during the 4-H Ahaolelo. 4-H reported from each county met each day with the Extension editor and published a very creditable paper. There was no news paper during the 196O Ahaolelo. During 1975-78, a daily paper, KA LEO O'AHAOLELO was published. No newsletters have been printed since.
Although the tradition of tree planting during the 4-H conference was started in 1947, it was not until 1953 when trees were planted in memory of some person or persons. It was then that a group of five Samoan coconut trees were planted in memory of Richard Sumida and his family.
Trees planted by 4-H members during the past years are:
No record of trees were planted till 1985 when a Pua Kenikeni tree was planted in honor of Betty Zane Shimabukuro, In 1986, a Norfolk pine in front of Bachman Hall was planted in memory of Lt. Col. Ellison S. Onizuka.
The Territorial 4-H Leaders' organization was organized on a trial basis during the 1953 Ahaolelo. In order to put it on a permanent basis, Mrs. Florence Jurgemeyer, president, called a special meeting of the representative of county councils in June 1954. As a result of this, the first meeting of the leaders was held during the 1954 Ahaolelo when new officers were elected. Toshimasa Tando of South Oahu was chosen president in 1955 and the leaders met during Ahaolelo until 1961.
Through funds made available by the Sears-Roebuck Foundation, western division, outstanding 4-H leaders were able to attend the National 4-H Congress held annually in Chicago.
In 1953, Mrs. Mary Lee, a lO-year club leader from Molokai had the honor of being the first leader-delegate to the Congress. Other recipients were:
Since 1962, the State 4-H Leader's Federation and the Hawaii 4-H Foundation have supported sending a leader or leaders to the National 4-H Congress.
Two Territorial-wide 4-H club conterences were held from July 1, 1947 to June 30, 1948. During the 1947 conference the delegates decided to form a territorial organization of 4-H clubs. They elected officers and decided that these officers and the county agents draw up the constitution and bylaws which may be presented at the subsequent 4-H conference.
Officers elected were: Junko Uyenoyama, President, East Hawaii, Hisao Yamada, Vice President, Maui, Amy Nagaue, Secretary, East Hawaii, and Walter H. Murakane, Treasurer, Hilo.
During the 1948 4-H conference which was held June 14-19, a constitutional convention was held with President Junko Uyenoyama presiding. At this meeting a constitution and bylaws were adopted. The official name of the organization was the 4-H Club Federation of Hawaii. Officers elected for 1948-49 were Clarence Nihei, President, West Oahu, Norma Ito, Vice President, East Oahu, Fumie Ouchi, Secretary, South Oahu, and Roy Ganiko, Treasurer East Oahu.
The objectives of the Federation adopted were: "To unite all county 4-H Club Federation into a territorial affiliation; to improve the quality of 4-H Club work; to provide opportunities for leadership; to encourage 4-H member participation in state and national events; and to assist in the training and developing of 4-H members as better citizens." Presidents of the Federation in the ensuing years were:
The Board of Directors meet twice a year, once during the Christmas holidays in a county determined during the annual meeting and the second during the Ahaolelo (the annual meeting).
The role of the Hawaii 4-H Foundation is to receive and manage any property or funds and to use the same to best meet the needs for the advancement of 4-H. Funds are to augment existing programs of training, studies, as incentives and to develop new programs, as well as to finance educational trips and scholarships. The Foundation is to use the resources to best meet the needs, advancements and interests of the 4-H program of The University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension Service. "It was incorporated by the state in 1961 and classified as a public foundation under Section 50 (c) (3) of the IRS.
The Hawaii 4-H Foundation supplements and complements public support available to the 4-H programs. The Foundation's purpose is to provide resources that are not available from the public section. Private resources are not used for regular staff positions.
Annual meetings are normally held the fourth Tuesday of January for the purpose of electing trustees and officers, establishing a yearly budget, and for transacting other necessary business. Quarterly meetings are normally held in April, July and October.
Hawaii 4-H Foundation: Board of Trustees
The Hawaii State 4-H Leaders Federation is open to all volunteer 4-H leaders and has an annual meeting in March. Membership dues and county rosters are due in the State 4-H Office by March 1.
The purpose of the Federation is to assist the Cooperative Extension Service in considering 4-H policy; arranging for leader training, exchange of ideas; to help develop the social, educational and professional growth of the 4-H leaders; to aid in securing public approval and financial support; to acquaint parents and the public with the volunteer leaders roles; and help to develop a coordinated Extension youth program.
Officers are elected annually in March. A mid-year executive committee meeting is normally held in May for the purpose of conducting business and planning the following year's annual conference. The annual conference is rotated among the counties. In 2002, the conference was held on Maui. Visit www.geocities.com/hawaii4hcon/ for more information on the 2002 Hawaii State 4H Leaders Conference.
A constitution and bylaws document is on file at each county 4-H office and the State 4-H Office.
The Hawaii State 4-H Livestock Council is incorporated and is governed by a board of directors. The purposes of this council is to help promote the educational development of the livestock industry in Hawaii through 4-H livestock projects; assist 4-H clubs and the 4-H livestock club members in the conduct of statewide livestock shows by approving and demonstrating leadership support; acquaint the public with the part played by 4-H club members in the livestock project and establish rules and regulations for 4-H market livestock projects in order that they may culminate in a successfully statewide event.
The basic responsibility of the Hawaii State 4-H Livestock Council lies with the sponsorship and execution of the State 4-H Livestock Show and Sales. These major responsibilities include the managing and accounting of the State Show and Sales, securing through it's Buyer's committee sufficient buyers for the animals that are shown, and securing an auctioneer for the selling of animals at the state show only.
An Ad Hoc Committee for the primary purpose of forming a 4-H alumni group to raise $3150 to send a group of state 4-H winners to the 1983 National 4-H Congress was the forerunner to the 4-H Alumni Association.
Today, the Hawaii 4-H Alumni Association supports 4-H programs throughout the state. You can join the Alumni Association for $25 a year or $300 lifetime membership for single, $500 lifetime membership for couple. College students can join for $10 a year.
For information/inquiries, write Hawaii 4-H Alumni Association, P.O. Box 61565, Honolulu, HI 96839-1565.
Current officers are:
Meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month at Waialae
Baptist Church Classroom, 1047 21st Avenue in Kaimuki. The annual meeting is in September
and the new year starts October 1.
The National 4-H Council, headquartered at the National 4-H Center, 7100 Connecticut Avenue, Chevy Chase, Maryland (1 mile from the D.C. line), is incorporated exclusively for educational and charitable purposes as a tax exempt organization. The National 4-H Council serves as a primary resource for Hawaii 4-H. It is governed by a large national board of trustees from business, industry, the cooperative Extension Service, and the USDA.
The primary purpose of the National 4-H Council is the development of responsible initiative in American youth by complementing and supporting the work of the Cooperative Extension Service with primary emphasis on 4-H. To accomplish this the Council is dependent almost entirely on private sector donations as thus must acquire and administer a multi-million dollar annual budget.
"4-H is a community of young people across America
1955 East West Road #217
© 2001-2002 Cooperative Extension Service
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources | University of Hawaii at Manoa
Last Modified on January 23, 2015